Monday, September 25, 2006

Trying some new things.

So I joined pokerxfactor.com about a month ago and it hasn't exactly changed my game too much, but I had a chance to watch a video that sheets made. He has done very well online and I liked his video. So getting through 50% of the MTT field is no problem for me even when I get a bad beat I can usually build my stack back up. My issue is later in a tourney. I am trapped between two styles. The first style is what I used to get the big cashes that I have posted here. I basically play very tight, make smart reads, and wait for my spots. This style gets me into trouble by getting very shortstacked and if I can't get any decent hands then I get blinded down. I will go all the way down to 3XBB. The other style that is played by most good MTT players is to start pushing with mostly any two cards when you are less than say 15XBB. I have played like this recently and I see one advantage. You can build a nice stack and I got pretty high in chips on several tourneys. The problem is that you can get knocked out sooner and you need more luck since if you are called you are rarely more then 50:50 to win. So on one side you need to win some races and get some luck and the other style you need to get the luck in getting decen hole cards that you feel comfortable moving all in with. When I play the tight style it works great when you get decent cards since so many people are pushers. I love raising or calling them with AA or KK.

I think from now on I will mix it up a bit and play the pushing game if I am at the cash bubble and short stacked, but I will play my tight style when there are less than 20 people left.

I got pretty far in the $55K g. $11R on Stars and I was 3rd or 4th in chips with less than 60 people left. I busted at 30 something with AQ vs 99. The pushing style didn't work, but if I won that race I would have been near the chip leader again.

I got 12th in a $30 rebuy on Party.

So I figured out how to play the rebuys and I have done well in Limit tourneys so I need a nice win soon to get my cash reserves built up again. I still have $45K cashed out so I am doing well!

In two weeks my wife and son are going out of town so I plan on using my Party Monster $100K ticket and to play the Stars and Part million tourneys. That weekend will be an insane poker weekend. I plan on playing basically all day and night!

1 comment:

Irongirl01 said...

Hey Lee. I pretty much have subscribed to your original style of play. And your right if the cards dont come your way you get short stacked and run the risk of blinding out short of the big cash. I am good on the short stack but want to not have to come from behind.

I too have been working on adding more hands into my play. Especially gappers and connectors. Ive had some very good success with hands like t8 and 9T etc and you can also get burned. Its really also a matter of playing the pot odds too. Im learning to bet and call even when I think Im the dog if the pot odds dictate.

Youve had lots of great success keep up the good work

Lori